According to recent data, mobile searches account for more than 50 percent of all searches on Google, with advertisers disclosing that most of their traffic comes from mobile phone usage. As such, WordPress sites would benefit immensely from being more accessible to the vast base of mobile users.
Why appeal to mobile users?
Put simply, for your website to succeed, you must cater to mobile users, particularly considering that Google primarily uses mobile content for indexing and ranking their websites.
What does a mobile friendly website look like in practical terms? For starters, it’s having the content sized for handheld devices. This takes into account having high resolution images, adaptable text orientations and intuitive navigation. Additionally, the page ideally loads fast.
HostRooster believes the benefits of having a mobile friendly site are astronomical, and in just 6 steps, we’ll show you how to achieve that.
CREATING A MOBILE-FRIENDLY SITE IN 6 STEPS
- Test your client’s WordPress site – While your website may check all of the boxes we mentioned earlier, nothing beats testing to ensure your results are consistent across the board on multiple devices. Do not hesitate to utilize Google’s free mobile testing tool to that end.
- Keep content the same on mobile and desktop sites – Consistency, again, is key. To ensure uniformity and that you are not punished by Google’s mobile-first indexing, which checks to ensure the content on your mobile site is the same on its desktop version, keep content the same. Otherwise, you will lose traffic. You must keep everything, from metadata to structured data, the same across platforms.
- Implement a responsive theme – Responsiveness is a large part of making content adaptable for mobile, and a responsive theme is the best way to accomplish this. It will spare most users the less-than-satisfactory experiences. Fortunately, most WordPress themes are responsive.
- Choose mobile-friendly plugins – Plugins are known for improving a site’s functionality and overall experience, so choosing mobile-friendly ones are advised. Be sure to check that your plugins are up-to-date and are being applied to responsive sites, as opposed to non-responsive themes, which limit your customization possibilities.
- Avoid full screen pop-ups – Most pop-ups are intrusive and detract from the browsing experience. That is even more pronounced when browsing on mobile. At all costs, avoid full-screen pop-ups in your mission to drive engagement. Be moderate or desist from using pop-ups altogether.
- Simplify on-site graphics – Find the middle ground when adding graphics to your site. They should not be too large, nor should they be so counterintuitive they slow down and detract from your website. Choose them wisely and use them sparingly if you must.
Consider the above steps as you embark on that mobile journey. Making your website more mobile friendly will improve your rankings, improve site traffic and put you in front of as many people as you wish. Follow those recommendations and you’ll be well on your way to accomplishing that.
Say hello to HostRooster, the ultimate one-stop-shop for all your entrepreneurial needs! From website hosting to freelance services, HostRooster is the platform that puts the power of success in your hands. Think of it as a matchmaker for your dreams and your website – HostRooster connects you with the tools and services you need to bring your ideas to life. No more juggling multiple platforms and providers, HostRooster has got you covered. So why wait? Sign up today and join the ranks of the world’s greatest entrepreneurs. With HostRooster, the sky’s the limit! “Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do.” – Eric Thomas “Don’t wait for opportunities, create them.” – Anonymous “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”